Want to know how Honey extension app can save you money while shopping online?
Look no further.
As the physical shops become a thing of yesterday, everyone is buying online at home, and on the go. The options are countless at your fingertips, but how do you know you are getting the best deal?
Even for a specific online shop, it often has coupon codes all year round, but finding the one that saves you the most can be time consuming.
This is exactly where the Honey extension app comes in.
In this comprehensive review, you will learn the following
- What is the Honey extension app?
- How do the Honey extension and Honey app work?
- What are the main features of Honey browser extension?
- Is Honey app legit?
- Is Honey extension safe?
- Does Honey extension work with Amazon?
- Does Honey extension work on mobile?
- The Pros and Cons
Disclaimer – This is not a sponsored post. I’m simply a happy user of the Honey extension as it really saved me money and time over the past year. So I want to spread the words so you can benefit from it too.
What is the Honey [Extension App]?
What Honey slightly differs depending on where you live, but regardless Honey saves you money (as cheesy as it sounds) by searching for the best voucher deals for your online shopping.
Honey extension app was developed in the US, and has the most functions for US users, where you have the choice of using the free extension for your website browser or the app. In the UK only the web browser extension is currently available.
If you are not familiar with web browser extensions, it’s a little bit of software that adds on to your web browser. Allowing Honey to be active and searching vouchers while you shop.
It’s compatible with over 40,000 shopping sites, and searches automatically.
Honey’s mission is that “We give everyone the tools it takes to find the best savings, perks, and all around value – making online shopping fair for everyone. Free and easy to use“.
They currently have over 17 million members, have saved the members over $1 billion and given members over $8 million in rewards (gift cards).
Honey currently supports shopping sites in the United States, Canada, Australia, United Kingdom with more to come.
How Does Honey Extension Work?
Living in the UK, I have only been able to use the browser extension and features available here, but I will mention all the functionality.
First things first you need to download the extension.
Then Sign-up to Honey – this is made easy as you can use your google or facebook account, or enter your details.
The extension is then added to your web browser and works with – Google Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Edge or Opera.
My experience is with Google Chrome and it works really well on this platform. You will notice a little icon appear on the web browser window.
If the H is grey it means Honey is not linked to that site, so no savings this time.
If it turns orange that means you are connected and you can click on the icon to show you vouchers, add to your drop list, price history and gold rewards. Or you can wait and the deals automatically pop up when you start to check out.
It is that easy.
Here’s a quick look at how the Honey browser extension in action:
It’s great for Domino’s pizza – who doesn’t get confused by their gazillion offers. When I thought I had selected the best offers using the app on my phone, I thought I would just check using Honey on my laptop. Sure enough for the same order Honey found me a better deal.
How does Honey App work?
So being in the UK, I need to refer to Honey to explain the difference between the browser extension and the app – as I can’t try the app.
They are designed to be different.
The browser basically works on the website you are shopping on and helps you get the best deal.
The app however, brings together millions of products from 1,000’s of sites, with their vouchers, allowing you to put them in one basket and actually buy through Honey in one purchase.
However, having a look through the reviews on Apple Apps store, it’s only rate 3.9 out of 5.
Most of the negative reviews come from the fact that the app works differently as the extension and it seems to be clunky.
So there’s definitely room for improvement…
If you don’t see the Honey window popping up, check you pop-up or ad blockers in you browser settings.
What are the main features on Honey browser?
Here are some main features that Honey browser extension to save you money.
1. Savings Finder – is the main event, and applies discount vouchers as you checkout using the browser, or as you shop using the app.
2. Honey Gold – is like cash back, so you earn while you spend. This goes into your account quarterly and can be used to purchase gift cards from several well known stores. Such as Amazon, Spotify, Gap, Footlocker, ASOS, Tesco…
You need 1000 gold points for a $10 gift card, or 1400 for £10 in the UK, due to the exchange rates.
Earning gold can be a little slow, it’s a percentage of the purchase. However, if you invite 2 friends to Honey and they use it. You will also receive a $10/£10 gift card.
Here is my link in case you’d like to use it.
>>>> Join Honey to Save Money <<<<
3. Price History – exactly as it sounds and shows you the recent history for the item you are buying. This is a great tool to use for Christmas shopping to save money.
4. Droplist (US members only) – allows you to add the items you are interested in buying at the price you want, and then notifies you if the price drops. It works on both the extension and app. Honey says they are working on rolling this out to other countries.
It doesn’t include sales tax, handling or shipping charges, so make sure you check the total price.
5. Amazon Best Price – Honey doesn’t get you discounts on Amazon, but will show you the best price from several sellers. This feature already exists in Amazon so for me it is not that important.
Is Honey Extension safe?
Honey extension is Free and secure. This is important to Honey and a big part of their messaging. They currently have +17M users, lots of high rated reviews. UK Trustpilot has Honey at 4.6 Excellent.
Having read some of the negative reviews, I think the users who didn’t get discounts either had the location or pop-up setting wrong. I have never had any issues, and have almost come to expect a discount when shopping.
Is Honey App Legit?
Yes, Honey is totally legit!
They earn money from commission from the stores you purchase from and are keen to point out they don’t share your data.
In addition just to give you even more confidence;
The tech company responsible for developing and running Honey is owned by Paypal (bought in 2019, their largest ever acquisition for $4B)
Being based in LA they sponsor the LA Clippers basketball team (they train at the Honey Training Centre), so they have a very public presence, which is also supported with the typical high level of US customer service.
Does Honey work on Amazon?
It certainly links and the H turns orange and shows the cheapest option, price data and gold amount you will receive. BUT it won’t get you discounts.
As I mentioned earlier, Amazon already has a feature to identify the cheapest price, therefore, I don’t see too much benefit using Honey browser on Amazon.
Does Honey Extension work on mobile?
The browser extension does not work on phones or tablets, therefore you have to use a real computer. However for those in the US, there is the app option, both Apple and Android.
Make sure you select the right country for your location, if not Honey will not find the offers for you, as you will be on a UK site, while the extension is searching for US codes!
Honey Extension App Pros and Cons:
- It’s FREE while saving you real money.
- Takes the hardwork out of finding vouchers / coupon codes
- Works with over 40,000 stores
- Provides cashback through reward cards
- Work automatically in the background
- One checkout for multiple purchases on the Honey App
- Price monitoring and price history tracking so you know the best time to buy
- Does not track how much you have saved over time
- Limited in the region: Honey App is only available in the US. Honey Extension is only available in the US, UK, Australia, and Canada.
- The extension only get you the best deal for the site you are on.
- The extension only works on desktop/laptop, therefore, you can’t use it on the go.
- Honey app doesn’t work as well as the browser extension.
Final Thoughts on Honey Extension App – Is Honey worth using?
Honey claims to offer an average discount of 17.9% and an average yearly savings of $126/£95.
The discounts for me have been regular, and consistent, like welcome discounts, free shipping, or general discounts.
If you are in one of the countries that Honey extension app covers, my question is, why WOULDN’T you use this clever FREE extension to save you some money?
To put your mind at rest, Honey extension app is legit and safe, so you can enjoy saving money online hassle free.
>>>> Join Honey to Save Money <<<<