Heard all the hype about Stupid Simple SEO – but wondering is it legit?
The short answer is YES, but I guess that’s not the only question you have.
SEO can lead organic traffic to your website and traffic can turn into sales $$$.
However, it is one of the hardest things to implement not to mention it takes time. …which is why SEO companies charge around $5000-$30,000 per project.
So if there’s a course that will teach you how to master the skills of SEO for your own website then that could potentially be worth the investment and save money long term, right?
Enter Mike’s Stupid Simple SEO, a premium course that will teach you everything you need to master SEO skills and get organic traffic for your website. After seeing the results and raving from my blogging Facebook Groups, I decided to take the plunge and find out for myself.
In this Stupid Simple SEO review, I will take a deep dive into the course, and my personal experience, so you can decide if Stupid Simple SEO is right for you. I will also be updating my progress and results over time.
But before I dive into the course itself, I want to cover a few SEO basics. If you are already well equipped with WHAT and WHY, feel free to skip ahead.
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning if you make a purchase, I may earn a small commission, at no cost to you. Please read the disclosure for more information.
What is SEO – Search Engine Optimization?
SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization.
It is a long-term strategy used in order to improve a website’s visibility and organic search results within internet search engines, mainly Google which is used for 80% of searches.
Having your content show up on the first page of a Google search, or any search engine is not as simple as clicking that “publish” button after writing a post.
There are many factors that go into SEO, and it can seem daunting and overwhelming to try and tackle it all on your own.
Why is SEO important?
If you have your own website, traffic is one of the most valuable assets. Traffic can turn into money. More people coming to your website means more opportunities for you to convert them into leads, customers, or subscribers.
Traffic is also a key measure for premium ad networks, another way to monetize your website.
Starting out in blogging, I focussed on social media campaigns to bring traffic, primarily Instagram, after all this is what’s visible, so you can see how this might work. What I found was my blog traffic was unpredictable and not helping me rank.
Social media is one of many key strategies to bring traffic to your site, but through my journey, I have found using SEO is one of the most robust and sustainable ways to bring FREE / organic traffic to your site. Something I wish I would have known more about and invested in sooner.
Well-SEO’ed content shows up on the first page of Google searches in response to multiple related keywords attracting people to click through it. As people will often find what they are looking for on the first page of results, getting click-through when you are sitting on the 2nd or 3rd page is pretty difficult.
The graph below from BackLinko shows the amount of traffic from being on the 1st page (left of the dotted line, position 1-10) vs. the rest of the pages. This is probably why they say “The best place to hide a dead body is the 2nd page of a Google search result”.
Even on the 1st page of Google, the top 3 ranked pages get over 70% of the traffic.
Can you do SEO on your own?
Yes, if you know what you are doing.
I have always known the importance of SEO, but for the first 2 years of my blogging, I was trying to do it cheaply.
Why wouldn’t I? I have a blog about being frugal and had no cash flow to invest at the start.
I would spend days working on high-quality posts and the second I hit “publish”, it would disappear into the dark hole of Google and never see the light of day again. And this would continue post after post…
Yes, I was doing my keyword research with a relatively cheap tool (that didn’t give me accurate information). I also spent hours trying to patch lots of free information together to learn about SEO. But there is SO much conflicting information out there I was feeling very lost and overwhelmed in the big world of blogging.
But I wasn’t alone. A study by Ahrefs showed that 90% of 1 billion webpages they analyzed got NO organic traffic from Google. 🤚
After 2 long years of doing SEO on my own CHEAPLY, I finally invested in a premium SEO course and an SEO tool that’s the best on the market, I now know the exact process to get my post to rank at the top of page 1 Google searches.
So you can do SEO on your own but learn from my experience… If there’s one thing you need to invest in as a new blogger, it’s SEO.
Scrimping on that will only lead you to waste time and money (like I did).
How long does it take to see results from Google SEO?
The thing with SEO is that it is a long-term strategy and the results you see are not immediate.
There are many Google ranking factors, and it can take weeks or months to see positive changes in your website’s visibility and organic search results.
That being said, if you have an existing website and you’re starting to do SEO for it, you should see results sooner rather than later.
Who is Mike Pearson?
Mike Pearson is the creator of Stupid Simple SEO (SSSEO). Before you invest your hard earned money on a course, let’s find out if the person you are paying money to is legitimate, has a proven record of what he teaches, and can communicate in a way to help you learn.
Here is a quick rundown of Mike’s credentials:
- Mike started an affiliate site in the hiking and camping niche in 2016. The site made 1 million page views in 12 months predominantly from organic Google SEO traffic, earning $95,000 through affiliate income alone. He then sold it for over 6+figures.
- In 2019, he launched a 2nd site called CreditTakeoff.com using the same process. A year after it was started, the site was able to make over $10,000+/month. He uses this site as an example in Stupid Simple SEO to demonstrate the process, tips and tricks.
- Now he runs multiple successful niche sites allowing him to walk away from his corporate job.
- With the success of his own websites, Mike created the Stupid Simple SEO course, a process that turns one of the most complex roadblocks to blogging success into simple and repeatable actions.
- Over 3000 bloggers accelerated their traffic using the same process that Mike teaches.
I love Mike’s straightforward step-by-step teaching style. He breaks down the complicated process into small chunks, making it easy to digest. I also appreciate the fact that he always explains everything, making it easy for beginners.
As long as you follow the steps, implementing your SEO strategy can be, well, STUPIDLY SIMPLE.
You can have a taste of Mike’s teaching style with his free SEO master class here 👇
Who is Mike Futia?
A random fact about Mike… Pearson is actually not his real name, instead, his real name is Mike Futia. Back in 2018, Mike created the pseudo name – Mike Pearson for his online side hustles while still working in a corporate 9 to 5. He did it to protect his privacy online and also to avoid being “caught trying to run an online business while being on the clock at his real job”.
With the success of the Stupid Simple SEO course, and multiple niche sites, Mike is running a 7+ figure online business full time, the name Mike Pearson became the brand name for the course, so that has stuck.
Mike shared his story in his private Facebook group. I appreciated him being open and honest and could certainly understand some of the fear/concerns he had at the early stage of creating his own business.
Now that you know about the person behind the course, let’s jump into the Stupid Simple SEO review.
What is Stupid Simple SEO course?
Mike Pearson’s “Stupid Simple SEO” is a comprehensive online course that teaches you everything you need to know to rank on top of Google searches using SEO.
The course covers the following key aspects of SEO:
- How to do keyword research (with his proprietary method)
- How to analyse keyword data
- The formula for on-page SEO
- How to build domain authority with off-page SEO (Backlinks)
- The importance site-speed
- How to structure your site
- Use Google search console / analytics to improve your traffic
- Identify pages losing traffic and what to do about them
You will also get cheat sheets, trackers, and templates throughout the course to make implementing SEO strategies easier.
Stupid Simple SEO Course Overview
The Stupid Simple SEO course consists of 55 over the shoulder video lessons (~9 hours worth), which are broken into 9 Modules:
Mike starts with a short introduction and overview of the course, then jumps straight to his unique method of how to find keywords that rank, covered by Module 1 & 2.
Module 3, 4, 5 & 6 focus on-page SEO. From Mike’s years of experience, he is sharing the set of rules that Google uses to rank the post and translate it into an actionable formula.
Not only will you learn how to write a piece of new content that is SEO-friendly, but also optimize and update your old posts to increase their ranking and delete content that’s not working or relevant.
The last three modules (7, 8 & 9) are on off-page SEO, ie Backlink building and how to analyze backlink data from competitors. In these modules, you will learn ways to build quality backlinks, and get templates & trackers for guest posting and email outreach.
Stupid Simple SEO Bonuses
The course also includes additional Bonuses that will aid your SEO strategy:
- Site Speed for Bloggers, taught by an industrial expert Greyson Bell.
- Site Structure Mini-Class
- Six-figure affiliate marketing formula
- Mastering Mediavine ads
- Scale with sponsored posts
- How to use Google Search Console
- Ahrefs advanced
- SEO Tools on a budget using a cheaper alternative tool – Keysearch
- Niche Site Explosion
- How to make money selling your site
Course Support and Community
In addition to lifetime access to the Stupid Simple SEO course and bonuses, you also get access to the private Facebook Group for ongoing SEO related support. Whilst Mike actively oversees the private Facebook group, it also has a dedicated coach to answer any course-specific questions.
There is a LIVE Q&A session every month, discussing the latest SEO strategies.
How much does Stupid Simple SEO cost?
The Stupid Simple SEO cost is a one-time investment of $497, or 4 payments of $147. This is a big investment, especially for someone who is just starting out, but compared with the earning potential from SEO, it is a fraction of what you can make, in a month!
With the help of this course, I made over $2,000 in affiliate income alone in February from just one blog post that ranked #2 on Google.
As I am only at the start of harvesting what I learned from the course, you can find more examples from other bloggers who are further down the road, in the Testimonial section below.
What additional SEO tools do you need?
Stupid Simple SEO is based on using one of the best SEO tools out there – Ahrefs.
Ahrefs is SEO software loaded with smart statistics to help you optimize SEO for your site. The software will help you build links, do competitors analysis, keyword research, site audits and domain tracking.
You can utilize its 7-day trial for $7 to do all the keyword research you need during the course training.
Mike is very conscious of the Ahrefs trial window and provides specific instructions regarding at which point of the course you can start the trial without the need for a more costly monthly fee.
When I did the 7 day trial with Ahrefs during the course, it was plenty of time for me to end up with over 100 keywords more than a years worth of content, and additional keywords for my other niche site ideas.
In the course bonus, you will also be learning the budget-friendly alternatives, which you can use on an ongoing basis.
In addition to Ahref, I also installed a free tool in WordPress SEO yoast plugin. This will help you with the on-page SEO.
What would you learn from Stupid Simple SEO?
Stupid Simple SEO says it will teach you everything you need to know about growing your traffic and revenue, with SEO, which is quite a broad statement. What it really boils down to and what you get out of this course to help your blog traffic is:
- A long list of high value, low competition keywords so you will never run out of post ideas.
- Build a site structure that is SEO friendly
- Identify your competition and how you can compete
- A step-by-step guide on outlining, writing and optimizing a new post that ranks
- Exactly what to do with your old posts to improve the ranking
- How to pitch for guest posting with a plug-and-play template
- Ways to start building backlinks
How to sign up for the Stupid Simple SEO?
Stupid Simple Simple SEO used to only open twice a year for enrollment but with the increase in demand, you can sign up all year round now.
Mike wants you to try it before you buy it. To sign up for Stupid Simple SEO, you can register for Mike’s FREE SEO Bootcamp video, where you gain an access link to sign up for the SSSEO course.
In this Free SEO Masterclass / Bootcamp, you will learn:
- The 2 things you must check before choosing a keyword
- The secret to niching down
- Write better content
- How to improve your old posts to rank
- Build your domain authority
The course also offers a 30-day Conditional Money-back Guarantee to give you reassurance, in case you don’t see any results after implementing everything you’ve learned from the course.
Stupid Simple SEO 2.0, what’s new?
The version that I took was Mike’s Stupid Simple SEO 2.0. The main improvement from this version is that Mike re-structured the course content.
With the Stupid Simple SEO 2.0, he jumps straight into what is the most impactful activities for SEO, keyword research, on-page SEO etc. and made other elements that are supporting activities as bonuses.
Mike continues to improve the Stupid Simple SEO based on feedback and the latest SEO information. The good news is, as a student of the course, you will get lifetime access to the course which also means whenever there’s an update, you will get access to the latest version.
How long does it take to go through the course?
In my experience, it took me a week to get through all the videos by spending 1 hour per day. I also sped up the videos when it made sense.
Then I started my 7-day Ahrefs free trial. I did all the keyword research for the current site in 3 days while re-watching Mike’s video instructions, and using his templates.
So a total of 10 days to complete the video and do the keyword research.
How long does it take before I can see the results?
On average, it takes between 3-18 months for Google to rank your content. The reason it’s so widespread is that there are many contributing factors that impact how quickly your post gets to rank on the first page:
- Age of your site
- Your site DA – Domain authority
- The quality of the particular post
- How competitive are the keywords you are trying to rank
- Is your site secure
- Site speed
In my personal experience implementing what I learned from the course, I was able to repeatedly get my new posts on the 1st page of Google within 3 months after publishing.
What results will you see from taking Stupid Simple SEO?
Although the results may vary, after taking the Stupid Simple SEO, you should expect to be able to:
- Learn the exact method on how to find high value, low competition keywords to create content that ranks.
- Produce a long list of relevant keywords on your content calendar.
- Repeat the process and use the tools in the future.
- Write a post that is SEO optimized with confidence.
- Start implementing the ways to build backlinks to increase your site domain authority and ranking.
- Improve the ranking of your old posts
- Implement strategies to further improve your overall site ranking by improving site speed, structure, and understanding of Google Analytics.
Does Stupid Simple SEO work?
The Stupid Simple SEO definitely worked for me. Even within a short 3 months after taking Stupid Simple SEO, not only did I end up with a long list of keywords that will keep me busy for the next 12 months, but I also started to improve my old posts and move them up the Google ranking. My traffic, as a result, starts to increase, and so is my affiliate income.
Here are results from other students taking Stupid Simple SEO:
What do I love about the course?
This is one of THE BEST courses I’ve taken, in terms of value for money.
There are so many “ah-ha” moments as I was going through the course, that I never learned from any of the FREE or cheaper SEO course alternatives.
The secret sauce of Mike’s SSSEO course is keyword research. You will learn a unique way to come up with a list of high-value keywords from reverse engineering competitors. No more throwing darts in the dark.
I just wish I took this course earlier!
In addition to learning how to come up with a list of keywords you can confidently rank in Google, there are a few things that make this course stand out:
- Bite-size – The course was broken into 9 modules with small digestible bite-size videos, most of which are under 15min. This is great for someone who doesn’t have hours at a time and is able to squeeze in a few lessons throughout the day.
- Templates – Mike has done so much of the admin work upfront for you, providing smart templates including formulas and algorithms along the way that make it super easy to create, store, and edit the outputs from the work you will do throughout the course.
- Video speed feature to save time – I love learning through training videos as it feels like I have my personal tutor. I also like the fact that I can speed up the videos to save time, which means a 10min. video, I can increase the play speed and finish in 7mins.
- Actionable and Concise – Mike’s way of teaching is super actionable and concise. The course is all about “this is what you need to do and here are the steps and tools”.
- Easy to understand – I took this lesson together with my husband who had ZERO knowledge about blogging (yes he finally took an interest in what I do). He was able to follow along without any issue.
- Support for questions – There is a private FB group with a dedicated coach answering any course-related questions. I had a few throughout the training which were answered within a few hours of posting. Pretty good considering we are in the UK timezone.
What can be improved?
Overall, I’m really happy with what I’ve learned and the investment that I made in this course, but there are a few things that can be improved:
- High price tag. This is a premium course with a high price tag. I had to think twice (maybe three times) before I pulled the trigger and purchased.
- All video-based training material. Although I like this type of training method, I can see this might not be for everyone, especially for someone who prefers learning through reading and writing. Perhaps having course notes available would be good.
- Backlinks building is still slow and painful. Although the course helps you to understand the importance in backlink building and get you started with ways to do that, the process of backlink building is still very slow and painful. I don’t expect this course (or any course) to be the “silver bullet” to get me lots of high-quality backlinks all of sudden. The truth is, speeding up your backlink building, it’s very difficult to do alone. Instead, you need to be part of a community with secured deals with big authority sites.
My personal results from SSSEO?
What I missed previously was not doing my competitor research properly, which meant spending days writing amazing post after post but they could never compete with the big sites with the same keywords.
If you want to see faster results, it’s much better to find those easier keywords in Google ranking before jumping on the hard ones at the start.
And Mike’s Stupid Simple SEO teaches you EXACTLY how to do that, step-by-step.
My site is currently ranked on top of Google with 20+ keywords.
Who is Stupid Simple SEO for?
- The Stupid Simple SEO is for bloggers and online business owners who understand the value of Google SEO.
- Someone who is willing to invest in learning the SEO skills him/herself instead of relying on paying others to do it.
- The course is for someone who is tired of piecing together free (and sometimes contradicting) information and getting organic traffic as early as possible.
- The SSSEO course is perfect for bloggers who are at the start of their blogging journey, to start SEO the right way. (Wish I did!) If you are COMPLETELY new, I suggest you start with Mike’s Niche Site Acadamy instead.
- It is also suitable for someone who has been blogging for a while and wants to level up their SEO skills.
Who is Stupid Simple SEO not for?
The Stupid Simple SEO is not for everyone.
- As it is a high investment if you are not able to afford it, perhaps start with more budget-friendly SEO courses (see below alternatives). Although you won’t get all the value from SSSEO, at least you can start learning at a lower cost.
- If you are expecting the course to be the silver bullet to increase your site traffic, the SSSEO course is not for you. While it will show you the shortest route to being successful at SEO, it takes effort from you and time to see the results.
- Finally, if you can’t get on with learning via video, this may not be the best choice for you as all the lessons are taught via videos.
SSSEO course alternative?
Although no course is exactly the same, there are a couple of SEO courses that are considered Stupid Simple SEO alternatives.
Long Tail Deep Dive by John Dykstra
Before I purchased Mike’s Stupid Simple SEO, John Dykstra’s Long Tail Deep Dive (LTDD) was another raved SEO course with a high price tag.
Similar to SSSEO, the LTDD teaches you how to find high value, low competitive keywords to create content using Ahref. However, this course does not cover how to build backlinks and promote your posts.
Currently, the Long Tail Deep Dive is only available as part of the Fat Stack Bundle which costs $497 with an annual renewal of $97/year. It’s also not an evergreen enrollment.
While I am sure John Dykstra’s Fat Stack helped many to improve their SEO, based on my research, I feel Mike’s Stupid Simple SEO is much better value for money, which is why I ended up choosing it.
Easy On-Page SEO + Easy Backlinks for SEO by Debbie Gartner
Debbie Gartner (the flooring girl) is well-known for her affordable SEO courses. She has 3 SEO courses in total:
- For On-Page SEO: Easy On-Page SEO ($47)
- Building backlinks: Easy Backlink SEO ($47)
- For old posts: Easy SEO Revamp ($127)
You can also save some money by purchasing the Easy On-Page SEO + Easy Backlink SEO as a Bundle for $94. The bundle is perfect for beginner and intermediate bloggers.
The Easy SEO Revamp is for more advanced bloggers. You will learn how to use Google Analytics to improve the rankings of your old posts.
I bought Debbie’s all 3 SEO courses. I found the on-page strategies from the course to be very effective so are many backlink building tips that she recommended.
Keep in mind, unlike the Stupid Simple SEO, Debbie’s courses do NOT teach you how to do keyword research. However, for the price you are paying, the courses still offer plenty of value.
If you are on a budget this may be a good alternative for you to start learning.
Other frequent questions:
What’s the difference between Pinterest SEO vs. Google SEO?
Similar concept to Google SEO, Pinterest SEO is a strategy to make your pin show up on top of Pinterest for targeted keywords.
Many new bloggers (including myself) use Pinterest as a platform to gain traffic at the start of the blogging journey.
While you will get eyeballs on your new website much faster than Google, I have noticed over the years, that the traffic is not nearly as consistent. For example, one pin can do really well for a few weeks bringing a lot of traffic, then it can disappear all of sudden.
To be successful at Pinterest, you also need to create pins consistently at volume, which can total up to a large amount of effort. In contrast, with the same amount of effort you put into Google SEO once, you will get a much more consistent return. To me, that’s a much better return on investment.
Also, depending on your blogging niche, certain ones can do really well on Pinterest (like baby, interior design, crafts etc.), but others are either too competitive or just don’t have enough traffic.
Does Pinterest help SEO?
Pinterest is a valid strategy to grow your traffic, especially for new websites.
However, based on my experience, relying on Pinterest for your traffic alone won’t get you to the top of page 1 in Google.
When I started blogging, I invested a lot of time in using Pinterest as a platform to drive traffic to my site. While it gave me a kickstart in traffic it wasn’t perfect and I got a real shock when my Pinterest account got suspended for a few days.
How was I going to get traffic?.
I realized that I was putting all my eggs in one basket. This is when I started learning about SEO.
Over time, my organic google search traffic through SEO has become more consistent than my Pinterest traffic. This is consistent with feedback from many successful bloggers, which is why investing in SEO strategy for your blog is so crucial.
Final Thoughts on Stupid Simple SEO Review
So here you have it – my honest review of Mike’s Stupid Simple SEO.
If you are looking to improve your SEO and drive more organic traffic for your website, Mike’s Stupid Simple SEO is the course that’s worth the investment. It’s packed with valuable information and unique tools and strategies that you won’t learn elsewhere. Not only Mike has proven they work for his own websites, but also 3,000+ students (including myself) have benefited from his proprietary method.
I hope my Stupid Simple SEO review gave you a better idea of what the course is about and if it is the right investment for you.